In Google Sheets you can restrict or control the input of data using Data Validation. You can validate the entry in several ways. Here we will discuss how we can control inputting text in Google Sheets. Here we will learn the Google Sheet tips to use data validation to force text entry to all caps or upper case, force text entry to all small letters or lower case and force text entry to proper case. We will use custom formula for our purpose here.
1. How to Restrict or Make Entry or Input of All Text to Capital Letters or Upper Case?
You can select either entire column or specific ranges to restrict all caps entry.
- Go to Data>Data Validation in Google Doc Sheets.
- Select the Range or column where you want all the entering texts in All Caps or Upper Case. Our range for example purpose is A1:A15.
- Select the Criteria “Custom formula is”
- Enter the formula “=exact(upper(A1:A15),A1:A15)” without quotes.
- Set other parameters as your wish. I suggest select “Reject input” and “Show validation help text”. That’s all.
to Restrict or Make Entry or Now How to Input of All Text to Small Case or Lower Case or Small Letters?
- Follow the above steps 1,2 and 3. Only changes in second step. This time our range is B1:B15.
- Here formula is “=exact(lower(B1:B15),B1:B15)”.
How to Restrict or Make Entry or Input of All Texts to Proper Case?
- Follow the above steps 1,2 and 3. Here our range is C1:C15
- Enter the formula “=exact(upper(C1:C15),C1:C15)” without quotes.
If you try to enter any thing violating our set rule, you will be greeted with the message that you set in Validation.